Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Holistic Gals "Thinny Pizza"

I use the word "Thinny" cause I think skinny is overly-used. Although I don't think thinny is an actual word, but I like it!
Fresh out of the oven!
The other day I was craving a slice of pizza, but didn't want to sacrifice the calories for it, so I ransacked my kitchen and made a fillo dough mushroom pizza! Easy,healthy, and really good!!  I did use 1 cup of low fat mozzarella but that can be easily omitted to make this vegan, and even less calories. This is one of those dishes that really has endless flavor combinations, Next time I make it, I think I will just use oil and garlic and make it a veggie herb type of pie, again, experiment with your favorite toppings, possibilities are endless with this one, just keep in mind if you start adding meat and more cheese the calories will shoot up! What makes this a "Thinny pizza" is the use of fillo dough, these paper thin sheets are very low in calories and fat, if you have never worked with this simple dough before, I find you will be delighted in how yummy and low cal it is! Not hard to work with at all, and inexpensive!


Only 16 Weight Watcher points for the whole pie! (that's on the old point system) thats 2.6 points(rounded to 3 points per slice!) Don't let this pie deceive you, it is filling!




              Ingredients
  • 7-10 sheets of fillo dough 
  • (don't open till ready to use, and store in the fridge so it's already thawed when needed)
  • 1 package of button or baby portebello mushrooms sliced
  • 1 large onion (sliced, fried in a tbsp oil)
  • 2 garlic cloves(sliced)
  • Olive oil in a mister, or cooking spray.
  • 5-6 cherry tomatos (quartered)
  • oregano,thyme (dry)
  • 1 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
  • plain tomato sauce, about 8 tbsps.
  • 2 Tbsp parmigiano cheese(grated, optional)
  • few dashes of salt,(optional)



Start by washing, and slicing your mushrooms Or buy the pre-sliced mushrooms to save time,  slice your onion, and thinly slice your garlic.Heat up a skillet with 1 tbsp of oil, once hot, throw the onions in and cook till browned on the edges, Get your baking sheet, put down one sheet of foil, spray with your mist oil,  and generously sprinkle oregano and thyme on the foil. Start laying your fillo sheets, lay the first one, then spray with the oil mist, continue till you get to the top layer.




Pre-oven
Top layer; add about 8 tbsps of sauce spread evenly, top with sliced garlic, spread them as evenly as you can, then top with the onions, then the mushrooms, then the cheese, add your quartered tomatoes, sprinkle again with oregano and thyme, top with the grated parmesan cheese. then slightly roll the sides to form a "crust", pop it in a preheated 425 degree oven, cook till crispy and cheese is slightly browned....cool, slice and serve with a salad, or enjoy it as is!  (About 40 minutes in the oven) just check on it.

Ready to serve!








Mangia!


*I will post another variation soon*


I would love to hear your variation,  or thoughts on this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment!










12 comments:

  1. I love this,never tried with fillo dough.will make it soon.thanks for the post. please stop by my blog
    delightsofculinaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting - filo pastry for a pizza base, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin! I appreciate your sweet comment! ;)

      Delete
  3. oh my does this pizza look goooood. Now I am want pizza for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love absolutely every ingredient in this!!!! ahhh it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all your "thinny" recipes, this pizza looks SO delicious! Fabulous blog you have, so glad to be your newest follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for your lovely comment! and for being my newest follower! ;)

      Delete